Each year thousands of injuries or fatalities occur when glass breaks.
Where do broken glass injuries occur?
Glass injuries can occur with exterior glass such as:
- window glass
- storefront glass
- glass handrails
- skylight glass
Glass injuries can also occur with interior glass such as:
- shower doors
- tub enclosures
- partition glass
Why do glass injuries occur?
Sometimes the injuries occur from accidental impact or from mild contact that produces an unexpected break.
At other times the injuries come from accidental detachment or disengagement of the glass. In some instances, the glass breaks spontaneously, without any direct contact at the time of the break.
Safety glazing and broken glass injuries
Safety glazing laws and codes mandate that safety glass be placed in doors, sidelites, shower enclosures and in some cases, near the floor level. There are times that we find that safety glazing was not used when it should have been. At other times, we find that laceration injuries occurred even with safety glass. When glass breaks, it is often cleaned up, so some of the evidence is spoiled before we have a chance to examine it.
Nonetheless, there are usually some clues we can find. We use our experience as a glazing contractor and glass consultant to investigate glass injuries.
Actual glass injury video
Watch the video below to see how dangerous it can be to fall through a glass storefront.
To investigate broken glass injuries, here is what we do
- Check building codes for safety glazing requirements
- Check building codes for the need for limited sash opening devices
- Check building codes for compliance with wind loads
- Check building codes for hurricane or blast requirements
- Inspect the site for factors that contributed to the injury
- Inspect the site for quality of maintenance
- Review the history of the property for prior glass replacement or injury
- Destructive testing of glass for impact
- Collect detailed measurements of glass, hardware and other involved objects
- Issue easy to understand, technically supportable reports enhanced with photos and illustrations
Want a Glass Safety Check?
We survey property for glass & mirror safety in order to make recommendations to help you make your property as safe as possible.